Have a Pie, 3/14, Pi Night |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Have a Pie, 3/14, Pi Night

 The Pie Party with Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

I haven't been this excited about in years. The family was displaced last year with new jobs, training out of state and time share with in laws.  This year it has all lined up and everyone was together. 

fruit pie, cream pie, shephards pie, pot pie




One of my grand daughters surprised me Thanksgiving.  I went to bed that night a little exhausted from all the cooking, cleaning and eating.  When I woke up on Friday morning my grand daughter had pulled out Christmas and done an amazing amount of decorating.  She put her personal spin on everything giving the decorations from my storage closet a whole new look.  That inspired me to make a lot more changes and come up with a new plan for Christmas this year.



The only thing I added to my décor this year is additional extension cords so I can use all the lights in my stash.  Grand daughter #3 directed me on all the light placements.  She's only five and her ideas are just as fantastic as her big sister's decorations inside the house. 


My adult grand daughter, my daughter and I were talking about how much we love pie which sparked an idea to have a complete meal of pies.  We joked and jested about it for a while naming all the kinds of pie we liked when I came to the conclusion I could really do this.  Thus was born a brand new tradition for our Christmas Eve Eve (December 23) family party.  Pie.  It's an idea that would work for any gathering: birthday, New Year's, Valentine, Football tailgating, you name it.  The sky's the limit.

pie night


It could be the theme for any large gathering.  Shepherds pie, Pot Pie, Pizza Pie, fruit pie, custard pie, nut pie. Yes, this can be fun.  I pulled out my favorite recipes and bought the ingredients.  I chose some pies that can be made ahead and frozen and some I'll make the day or two before our party plus the ones best made on the day of the party.  This may be the easiest party I've ever hosted!  Here's my list:

  • Chicken Pot Pie (super easy, 1.5 hour prep and bake)
  • Crock Pot Shepherds Pie (4 hours in crock pot on high)
  • Pizza Pie (coming from a local store)
  • Chocolate pie (made the day before the party)
  • Apple pie (made ahead and frozen)
  • Pecan pie (made ahead and frozen)
  • and a Salad - because a fresh vegetable will be nice.

There's eight days till we party so... here is the first recipe, the easiest ever...

Chicken Pot Pie  

Ingredients:

1 Deli roasted chicken, skin removed and meat pulled off the bone, cut into cubes. 

1 Cup water

2 Cans Cream of Something Soup (chicken, celery, mushroom... your choice) or make your own

1 small package frozen peas carrots

1/2 cup frozen diced onion

1 package frozen cubed hash brown potatoes

2 cans of crescent rolls

Instructions:

2 hours before serving time:

Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.  

Open and roll out one package of crescent rolls.  press seams together then line the bottom of the casserole and press up the sides.

Bake 350 F 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile... In a large skillet over medium high heat cook chicken, onion, water, cream of something soup, peas and carrots, potatoes till nice and hot (about 10 minutes). 

Pour over the baked bottom crust.  

Unroll the other can of crescent rolls.  Press seams together and place over the top of meat mixture. If you want to get creative, try cutting the dough into chicken shapes to cover the top.

Bake 350 F 25 minutes

Now that is the easiest pot pie ever!  


I really hope you are inspired and have your own pie, 3.14, pi night! Let me know when you do.