|For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Thursday

2020  Lessons and Vision

The end of 2020 is almost here and it has me reflecting over this very unusual space of time in my life.  I learned my first facts about Covid19 on a return flight from Jamaica but all I really found out was there was a very contagious virus in China.  For the first time I saw people wearing masks on the plane and in stores. It was a few more weeks before the virus hit the US and we entered the Pandemic shutdown for the first time.  It took some time to wrap my head around what it meant to my community, my family and me personally.


I realized my rural lifestyle habit of keeping my pantry well stocked would be very beneficial as the store shelves emptied of paper goods and shopping would be short and sweet.  I also learned using Amazon pantry that was my normal would be my saving grace when it comes to necessities.   




 May 1 we were blessed with a precious great granddaughter but were delayed in meeting her.  In August we had a medical emergency with my husband that required some serious quarantine time both before and following bypass surgery. We are still practicing "social distancing" for his sake.  


Our little home town was hit with a big spike of Covid19 positive patients in October, fortunately there were only a couple of severe cases.  Most everyone has treated the threat with the seriousness it deserved and the case load has dropped dramatically.  


I've become proficient at using facetime and Facebook rooms.  I think this new norm is the one I have and will continue to benefit from the most.  I miss meeting with my social groups and sitting in the church sanctuary but I dearly love visiting with my children and grandchildren live time through technology.  I wish my Dad had lived long enough to see it.  I was just a child when my family traveled to the Seattle Worlds Fair and saw a prototype of a telephone with a TV screen.  Dad was over the moon excited about that even though the screen looked like snow to me.




As restrictions have evolved and the vaccine released I see a bright lining to the dark clouds hovering over our world.  The holidays were lit up bigger and better this year with hope and renewed faith.  We found joy in taking a country car ride like the generations before us that did not travel far and wide easily.  I have reveled in each hand written note and seasonal card received as reminders that we all need to connect in numerous ways.  I hope the lessons learned through the hardships experienced are not tossed aside.  That we continue to value each other and the knowledge learned.