True stories and time |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Wednesday

True stories and time


I worked 24 years as secretary to a Principal.   The last 8 were at a high school.  Sometimes kids say some pretty funny stuff that I had to hold the laughter and just enjoy moment.  This is a true story of a high school senior trying to make up excessive absences for credit to graduate. It makes me think of Salvidor Dali's clock painting.


  • Student: "Miss, how many hours do I need for class credit?"
  • Me: 4 hrs.
  • Student: "I served them last Saturday."
  • Me: "Saturday detention hours are 8:00-11:00 AM, that's 3 hrs."
  • Student: "So, how many hours do I need?"
  • Me: "You had 4 and served 3 Saturday."
  • Student: "How many do I need?"
  • Me: "You are a senior, do the math. You had 4, minus the 3 you served."
  • Student: "So, I served them all Saturday."
  • Me: "Saturday detention is 8:00-11:00, that's 3 hrs, not 4."
  • Student: "So I served them all?"
  • Me: "No."
  • Student: "Yes I did, I came 8-11 Saturday."
  • Me: "That's 3 hrs, you need 4."
  • Student: "No miss, that's 4."
  • Me: "Really, you are a senior, you need to know that 8:00-11:00 is 3 hrs, not 4."
  • Student: "8, 9, 10, 11... that's 4."
  • Me: "You don't count 8:00 as an hour."
  • Student: "How many hours is it?"
  • Me: "It's still 3, go serve the last hour in detention right now."

"I'll think about that tomorrow", Scarlett O'Hara.