Texas Caviar is a Cultural thing |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Texas Caviar is a Cultural thing

I learned to eat black eyed peas because I'm a seventh generation Texan.  During the settler days it is said Texas migrants survived starvation on this hardy bean and in honor of those men and women we remember our humble beginnings and hope for a prosperous year with black eyed peas every New Year's Day.  I make this each New Year's Eve for our long time friend gathering in honor of that Texas tradition - heaven forbid I risk an opportunity for luck and prosperity.  I have also learned to make a big batch and have pint jars ready for my friends to take home after the midnight kiss. 
 


I didn't realize the humbling sacrifice was such a big deal until my northern SIL told me they are considered cattle feed where she comes from.  What she found out by marrying into our family is that black eyed peas are actually pretty good to eat, especially in this Texas Caviar dip.


My friends and family enjoy this dip enough to eat it throughout the year, not just on New Year's. This year we had a late November garden full of bell peppers and jalepeno's.  I froze like a gazillion bags of them and made many jars of relishes and salsa.  Since I had everything needed I decided to make the black eyed pea dip a little earlier than usual.  As soon as the relish was finish I made myself a nice bowl of mixed lettuces and spooned on some of the relish with it's Zesty Italian dressing.  My o my but it was good.  I'm convinced this will be the side dish salad I take to our next church pot luck.

It is also really good served on hot dogs - try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how delish it is.

Black Eyed Pea Dip (Texas Caviar)

by Jeannie
Ingredients
  • 2 Cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 2-3 Green onions, chopped
  • 1 Red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 Jalapenos, finely chopped with seeds removed
  • 1 Bottle zesty Italian salad dressing
  • Frito Scoops or Doritos chips
Instructions
Stir all the ingredients except the chips together.
Put in Mason jars and store in the fridge.
It is good right away, but terrific if you allow the flavors to marry over night. Serve with the chips.
Powered by Recipage

1 kind act:  give away a jar of black eyed pea dip to a friend.