Two Toddler Crafts |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Tuesday

Two Toddler Crafts



It's another good day at Camp Nini with Great Grand.  After a little muffin & fruit breakfast we made a mobile of fish from paper plates.  His cutting skills are pretty good, even with the string used to hang the fish.  Great Grand cut a V shape out of the plate for a mouth and glued it back on the plate where a tail should be then used a marker to draw eyes on both sides of the plates. I punched holes and threaded the string through the plates.  After I tied a loop on the other end of the string, Great Grand slid them on a hanger.  We hung it from a ceiling fan and watched as they danced around as if in an aquarium of water high over our heads.  Just like the tunnel at the Dallas World Aquarium!


After lunch Great Grand asked if he I had any play dough.  I didn't, but not to worry...I know how to make it!

He decided on red play dough as I measured out the indredients and stirred it on a low burner on the stove.  When It thickened and pulled away from the pan we waited a few minutes for it to cool and pulled out a big bucket of cookie cutters.  I found out his favorite shape is a diamond.  He showed me that it has 4 sides and made rows and rows of them along with a pretty impressive army of gingerbread men.  He likes singing "Run, run, as fast as you can...you can't catch me...I'm the gingerbread man!"

Play Dough Recipe:
  • 1 Cup flour
  • 1/2 Cup salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 Cup Water
  • Food Color

We made only one color so all the ingredients went into a medium sauce pan including the cake color.  Red took about 1/2 bottle of Wilton Cake paste and made a lovely vibrant shade.  Some folks use coolaide, which is fine, I just didn't have any.  It only takes about 15-20 minutes to make and keeps for weeks in a zip lock bag.

Now he's sleeping while I write this post.  He was pretty worn out from all the fun we are having together. So am I.