Aging Terracotta |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Aging Terracotta

And disposing of chemicals


The kitchen cabinets are finished.  A beautiful change from light walnut to a dark espresso stain.  Now what to do about the paint brush and cleaning fluid?  I read up on safe disposal and  our city recycling rules.  It's not easy to get rid of old paint, stain and cleaning liquids.  I used a minimal amount of mineral spirits in an old glass jar to dilute the stain off the paint brush.  That worked pretty well.  But now...there is that 1/2 Cup of mineral spirit dark with stain.  It actually didn't take me long to come up with a solution.  I looked out the kitchen window at a number of terracotta pots that could use some help.  I used the brush  to give a stain bath to some terracotta pots.  I really quite like the affect, even the drippy texture, so, decided to share this little trick with you.  When I had used up  all the liquid and the brush was no longer filled with stain, I washed the brush out with warm soapy water per instructions on the mineral spirit can.  Now I'm wondering if I made a purposeful batch of this super thin stain and mopped it on my concrete patio, how would that look?  And I wouldn't have to store the left over stain in the garage... hmmm.
linked up to: