Good bug or bad bug? |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Tuesday

Good bug or bad bug?

I searched the Internet for quite a while looking for this bug.  My daughter in law was gardening and texted the photo to me to find out if it is a good bug or bad bug and how to get it away from her house and vegetable garden.  We wanted to believe it was a lady bug, but the back was solid and not separated like lady bugs.  We then thought it was a type of beetle, but just didn't know.

I didn't recognize it as any bug I knew, so sent the photo to a science teacher where I work.  Meanwhile she and I decided the removal could take place by using a clean shop vac and nylon hose (panty hose).  They can be vacuumed up into the nylon and set free someplace else.

As it turns out they are a true bug, possibly a stink bug nymph.  My science teacher friend found them on the Internet and sent this link.
http://www.google.com/search?q=harlequin+bug+nymph&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cczET6zhGqnq2QXX1eBr&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1382&bih=696