Is writing in American cursive a lost art? |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Is writing in American cursive a lost art?

When I was a girl, a long long time ago, I was taught to print in elementary school.  In the third grade we learned to write in cursive.  That is history and ancient.  My husband mentioned that cursive is no longer a subject formally taught in elementary and I quipped in that neither is spelling.   Actually, I believe they are, they just are not penalized for misspelling when writing. Strange to realize I’ve reached the age of my life that I can actually say I was a part of something that is no more. 
cursive

So what do young people do in order to record thoughts and memories?  Type or speak into a voice recognizing device, but we still read.  We read in fonts.  Hmm.  Fonts may be the new cursive.  What would have received a slap on the hand for not conforming to the accepted “cursive” in my third grade years is now encouraged and exciting to see.  What was little more than doodling in margins of notebook paper and on the back of grocery bag book jackets is an accepted art form of design and writing. 
Cursive-or-Font
Like so many others, much younger than me, I enjoy looking at fancy fonts.  I spend valuable time searching through PicMonkey, Microsoft, and countless Google sites for decorative and cool fonts to use in my writings.  I type them in my blog, in instant messages and draw them on wall art in my kitchen. 
What started out in a conversation between hubs and me about a lost art, is not lost.  Since the first known writing discovered in 3100 BC by the Sumerians and Egyptians, writing has evolved.  From pictorials that express ideas that there were no words to adequately convey to symbols and letters that are collected together to share concepts with us. 
Writing has expanded with knowledge and understanding that conforming to one idea of right is ancient and history.   I wonder what people of the future will say about our methods of communicating.  What will they make of our dictionaries that grow each year with new words.  Will they think of us as varied and complex or the idealist romantics of our time.   I will carry on… and revel in the freedom of using graphic fonts to express the feelings and the moments I am in.
I wish I was clever enough to convert fancy fonts to computer images to share, but alas, I am not.  Instead I share with you a couple of sites where I found some great free fonts.  Since I stumbled on to 'A Typical English Home' site, I may spend a day learning and creating my own font.  Do let me know if you try it and how successful you are.

@ Love Bakes Good Cakes
at We Lived Happily Ever After numerous pages - all kinds
Patriotic fonts at the 36th Avenue
Create your own font at A Typical English Home
How to install fonts at A Typical English Home
How to use those new fonts in Blogger @ Kevin & Amanda