For the birds... DIY Suet. |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Wednesday

For the birds... DIY Suet.


I was busy in the kitchen stirring up some home made bird suet when hubs walked through.  He casually strolled by, stretching his neck to catch a peak at what I was doing.  I think he may have been a little dissapointed I wasn't making cookies, but he smiled and said, "making bird gifts?"

I like that - bird gifts.  Here are some simple instructions to make suet that kids might enjoy making while on winter vacation.

On wax paper, lay out some forms like jar lids or cookie cutters that have been sprayed with oil so they release easily.  Google a suet recipe, or use the one listed below to make a slightly damp mixture.  Use a short piece of a drinking straw to make a hole to thread string or ribbon through.  Firmly press the suet mixture inside the forms and around the straw.  Let it completely dry at least 24 hours.  Gently remove the suet from the forms and remove the straw piece.  Thread string or ribbon and hang it out for the birds.

I imagined I'd make homemade envelopes or boxes like some cleaver Pinterest People...but that didn't happen.  :-)  Instead, I packaged up several in inexpensive sandwich bags to share with friends so they too could hang out bird gifts.

Suet recipe:

mix together:
3/4 cup flour
1/2  cup water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
add
4 cups birdseed