Lemon Tarts made with Lemon Curd |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Lemon Tarts made with Lemon Curd

The scenes in Downton Abbey episodes spend a lot of time drinking tea and eating little cakes, scones and biscuits.  On season 5 episode 2 I noticed they often spread sauce or curd on the breads.  Many years ago a very sweet English lady I worked with made Lemon Curd that she gave in jars as gifts.  Since then I have thought fondly about it and wished I had asked for her recipe.
Lemon Curd Tarts

 I didn't acquire her recipe but adapted a recipe from Pary Moppins.    I am very pleased that the finished curd tastes very much like my friends gift.  The little change I made was adding more sugar (2 and 3/4 cups).  I know that sounds like a lot but the little tarts have only a little more than a teaspoon of filling in each and before I added the extra sugar it made the taste tester pucker up pretty good and even cross her eyes!  When I increased the sweetness she smacked her lips and gave me the O-KAY sign.

I'm the kind of cook that needs more of a guide the first time I make something so I also used a candy thermometer to indicate the temperature needed (200° F) to achieve a thickness perfect for tarts or spreading on toast or muffins.    It took about 40 minutes of stirring the 4 ingredients in a double boiler but having Girl Grand to help me with that worked out fine.  By the way, if you don't have a double boiler try this.  Put a large pan on the stove burner and a trivet or canning jar lid in the bottom of the large pan.  Fill the large pan about 1/2-2/3 full with water. Place a smaller pan or bowl over the trivet and above the water.  The trivet/lid and water will keep the smaller container off the bottom and lessen the chance of scorching the curd.

While Girl Grand stirred the lemon mixture and chatted I made a crust and used canning jar lids to cut the dough into circles.  I gently pressed the pie dough into mini muffins and prebaked for 15 minutes at 350° F.

By the time the tart shells were cooked and cooled the Lemon Curd was ready. The curd is very lemony and creamy.  I used a small ladle to pour curd into the little tart shells and the rest into jelly jars.  It is super yummy on a breakfast piece of toast.

Girl Grand and I set up a proper tea to enjoy the efforts of our cooking. It didn't take long for us to devour the tarts!