Fall leaf cut out cookies |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Tuesday

Fall leaf cut out cookies


#sugar cookies

My sweet big girl grand came by for a surprise visit today.  I love when she does that.  I had been sitting here contemplating some fall cookies when she knocked at the door, so we made them together.  There is nothing better than grandkids making cookies with grandma. [satisfied sigh]  She made half the cookies with the smallest (two bite size) cutters.  We ate a couple right off the cookie sheet - who doesn't love a warm cookie?  I put all the small ones she cut out in a Mason jar so she could take them home with her.  I really loved the smile she gave me when I did that. [another satisfied sigh]


We used my favorite roll out sugar cookie recipe and divided the dough into 3 parts.  One part colored yellow, one part colored orange, one part brown. (I use Wilton's paste so it doesn't break down the dough too much)

sugar cookie recipe
Ingredients:
2/3 cup softened butter
3/4 c sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (or try using other flavors, like orange, almond or mint)
2 cups flour

I put all the ingredients together in a food proccesor and pulse until it starts to ball up.  Divide  dough into enough balls for each color your plan to use.  Use a toothpick to add little globs of Wilton color paste to each ball and kneed till incorporated.  Since I was after a marble effect, I didn't worry about mixing the whole ball to a consistent color.

Make a fat rope of each color dough then loosley twisted the three colors together.  After twisting the three rolled pieces, roll the dough out 1/4" thick and used some leaf shape and acorn shape cutters to make fall cookies.  Sprinkle the cut outs with sugar and bake 7-9 minutes (they will not be brown) 350° F.  I adapted this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens roll out cookie recipe.  It has never failed me.