DIY Designer Cake Plate and Dome |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Tuesday

DIY Designer Cake Plate and Dome

I have several cake plates of the plain Jane clear bargain variety that were begging for an update.  I think I picked this one up a while back for about $12.  If you keep your eye out you might even find one cheaper than that at a garage sale.  They have been quite useful but it’s time to do some quick and easy make overs that will elevate them to a new and improved designer piece.  I came across a can of shiny metallic silver spray paint to use on the first one.  I feel contemporary coming on…
diy Designer cake dome from Dollar Store

Using some painters tape I quickly masked off the edges and the stand.  I wanted the edges to remain clear so no contact between paint and food would occur and to leave a little boarder detail.  I sprayed the stand on the inside to allow the glass to keep the super shiny appearance.  An added benefit will be that the paint won’t get worn off from hands holding it there.
0929141201
09291412090929141214
When I flipped it over it wasn’t silver through the glass, but a deep gray.  I like the contrast even though it was unexpected. 
0929141518a0929141517a
I turned the plate upside down and sprayed three coats allowing it to dry for a few minutes between of course.  The metallic spray appears dark gray through the glass but is shiny silver from below.  It’s a bit difficult to capture the silver color on my camera, but it turned out a pleasing contemporary color that I adore.  Then I went to work making a whimsical fun circle and dot pattern on the dome.
cake dome 3
I hand painted some free form silver polka dots using some folk art extreme glitter acrylic paint I had on hand.  It isn’t permanent, so it has to be gently hand washed.  Last I added some peel and stick bling circles purchased in a craft store wedding section.  I’m taking a cake to a luncheon on it this week.  It makes the cake appear kind of fancy and I have visions of a snowy winter scene “under the dome” for the winter holidays. 
cake dome 1
Wouldn’t a wedding cake topper look super inside it too?