Cranberry Orange Amaretto Scones |For what it's worth

Amazon links may be included. Thank you for supporting this blog at no additional cost to you.

Monday

Cranberry Orange Amaretto Scones

I made my first scones in honor of St. Patty’s Day.  I researched several recipes and read up on historic Irish foods.  There was some debate on whether scones came from the Irish, Scottish or England but it doesn’t matter because they did make something like it on griddles.  They remind me of something between a sweetened biscuit that doesn’t rise much that are delicious.

Cranberry_Orange_Amaretto_Scones recipe
  The base recipe was practically the same in every recipe I looked at with variations of fruit or savory bits added.  I used a scaled down version because I cook for two and added the fruit I had on hand.


When the scones have cooled a bit drizzle with a powdered sugar icing. I also used Amaretto coffee creamer in my icing instead of water or milk.  The result is delicious, just as I had hoped.  Now I’m sitting here writing up the process for you while I nibble on a fresh scone and sip on a cup of hot tea,  
 Have you made scones?  Please share your secrets.
Cranberry Orange Scones w Amaretta

by Jeannie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert snack coffee cake
Ingredients (8 wedges)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 Tablespoons cold butter till it resembles coarse sand
  • 1/2 frozen (or fresh) cranberries, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon (give or take) orange zest
  • 1/4 cup (may need to add a Tablespoon more if too dry) Amaretto flavored coffee creamer. (of course you can substitute plain cream or milk)
Instructions
Stir together the dry ingredients:
Cut in:
3 Tablespoons cold butter till it resembles coarse sand
Fold in:
1/2 frozen (or fresh) cranberries, finely chopped (I used a bullet blender)
1 Tablespoon (give or take) orange zest (I had saved the peels from yesterday’s breakfast and grated about a segment size piece)
Make a well in the center of the mix and pour in:
Amaretto flavored coffee creamer. (of course you can substitute plain cream or milk)
Quickly mix the wet with the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough. Try not to handle it too much because, like biscuits, the butter will warm and the result will be a tough bread.
On a floured surface, pat the ball of dough into a circle about 1/2-1” thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on a buttered cast iron griddle or cookie sheet.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
Powered by Recipage